Redhat linux cannot print euro on console

Sudhakar Manukonda mnsrsudhakar at yahoo.co.in
Thu Apr 19 16:07:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

  Iam trying to compile a simple program to print euro symbol on redhat linux system.

  My system details:
  GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.4, by Roland McGrath et al.
  Compiled by GNU CC version 3.4.3 20041212 (Red Hat 3.4.3-9.EL4).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.20 system on 2004-12-20.

  my c program:

  #include <stdio.h>
#include <locale.h>

int main() {
setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");
  printf("%lc", 0x20ac);
  return 0;
}
 (removed additional checks to reduce length of mail)

  [root at hyrlnx01 test]# LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 ./a.out
Euro sign: Γé¼

  [root at hyrlnx01 test]# LANG=de_DE at euro ./a.out
Euro sign: ñ

  I have modified the  file /etc/sysconfig/i18n to contain following lines
     SYSFONT=lat0-16
   SYSFONTACM=iso15

  But Iam getting the same output.

  Do I need to install any other packages ?
  Do I need to modify any other configuration files ?

  Please clarify and advise

  Regards
  Sudhakar