Failing Disk

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Thu Apr 12 12:30:31 UTC 2007

Jim, I disagree with you. I would be interested to know how dd would
handle read errors on the failing drive. :-) Have you completed many
rescue operations with drives whose reliability is questionable without
hickups only with dd???

If his failing drive is in a bad state and is likely to give persistent
I/O errors, doing a dd the way you describe it in your number list will
either abort the read operation or copy things inconsistently. Again I
would substitute dd with dd_rescue. If his blocks are OK, dd_rescue will
behave exactly as dd. If the blocks on the origin drive are broken, it
will persist until it copies as much data as possible.

GM