Can't open display: hostname:0.0

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 08:19:05 UTC 2007

Dave Martini wrote:
> # xclock
> Error: Can't open display: raider4:0.0
>
> What will cause the above error? I'm logged into a remote machine from
> my own RHEL 4 box.
> I also typed xhost +hostname from my RHEL 4 box to allow the other
> machine to display on my server. My DISPLAY environment variable is the
> correct name of my RHEL 4 box.
>
> Thank You.
> Dave Martini

Unless you've reconfigured your X startup the X server won't be
listening for network connections. The X server normally listens on a
UNIX domain socket (i.e. accessible to the localhost only via the
filesystem).

The simplest solution is to tunnel the X connection via ssh. Login to
the remote machine using ssh -Y. This should setup the appropriate
tunnel for X back to your local display. DON'T modify DISPLAY on the
remote end.

If you really want to use a direct connection you'll need to modify the
file /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and set DisallowTCP=false. Then restart X.
This will enable the X server to receive network connections. You will
also need to make a hole in the firewall to allow connections to the X
server port (6000 IIRC).

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555