RHEL 4 or 5 AS 64Bit OS

Steve Clark SClark at chkenergy.com
Wed Aug 15 21:30:38 UTC 2007

We run RHEL 4 64bit on the Dell 2950's with 16GB of memory (2x Woodcrest 2.66Ghz).  Works well with no problems.  The only issue we ran into is that the OS will not load with all 16GB of memory installed in the box.  The install will hang up on installing /loader.  The work around is that you will need to remove a few sticks of the memory out of the server for the install, and then put the memory back in afterwards. This only happens on the 2950 model, the 2850/6850/6950 models do not have this issue.

If your application supports 64bit, I would recommend installing the 64bit RHEL, especially since you have 16GB of memory. I have heard of a few issues with running RHEL 32bit on systems with 16GB of more of memory.  Again we have had no problems with our 64bit clusters running on 2950's.

-=Steve