bypass intranet sites

Ariel Szujatovich aszujatovich at newsan.com.ar
Thu Aug 16 13:08:32 UTC 2007

I have solved this issue using "Proxy Auto-Config" files
The issue is that if your client connect to the squid server no matter
what you do, they are already processed by squid
What you need to do is telling your browsers that some servers (sites,
addresses, IPs, etc) should be accessed directly, while some others need
to be routed through a proxy

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config to start

Below you can find an example of my own file
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)

// Make everything lower case.
// WARNING: all shExpMatch rules following MUST be lowercase!
url = url.toLowerCase();
host = host.toLowerCase();

// Local/Internal rule
// matches to this rule get the 'local' proxy.
// Adding rules here enables the use of 'local'

    if (0
        // LOCAL
        || isPlainHostName(host)
        || (host == "servidor1")
        || (host == "servidor2")
        || (host == "servidor3")
        || (host == "localhost")
        || shExpMatch(host, "127.*")
        || shExpMatch(host, "10.*.*.*")
        || shExpMatch(host, "192.168.*.*")
        ) {
        return "DIRECT";
    } else {
        return "PROXY 99.99.99.99:80";;
    }

Where servidor1, servidor2, servidor3 are local servers and 99.99.99.99:80
 is the address and port of the proxy server

Ariel Szujatovich

New San S.A.
Phone:  54  11  4546-5000    (Ext. 275)
Fax:       54  11   4545-6008
E-mail:  aszujatovich at newsan.com.ar

sylvan dacounha <sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com>
Sent by: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
16/08/2007 09:04 AM
Please respond to
General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

redhat-list at redhat.com
cc

Subject
bypass intranet sites

Dear All,
  i am new to squid and do apprecite ur help
  i have the following setup

  redhat 9
  squid
  private ip for all my clients
  I have a couple of sites in my intranet and all my locals users are
using squid to access internet.
  i would want squid to bypass the proxy when users accessin the local
intranet sites

  right now users hav to explicitly say in the browsers .. BYPASS PROXY
SERVER for local addresses after check the use proxy server and the
address has to be mentioned

  most users are non techinal so they dont use this option or put wrong
settin in bypass proxy option

  also when the proxy is used for proxyin local sites the load on squid
increases

  apprecite if you could tell me how cd i let squid bypass proxy for all
my local intranet websites

  i have abt 7 websites running

  apprecite your help

  regards