queer dns access problem

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Mon Dec 17 23:47:50 UTC 2007

Bill Tangren wrote:
>> Earlier you said you could ssh out of the broken box.  Can you ssh to the
>> same segment or to a remote network?  Can you log in to the box twice and
>> start a packet capture while you attempt a dns lookup?  This might show us
>> if it is related to firewalling or routing.
>

> If by the same segment, you mean within the same 10.1.5.x domain, I can
> ssh if I use the IP number to the same segment (there are errors, but it
> ultimately succeeds), but I cannot ssh out of the segment, with or without
> IP number. Also, I can ssh into the broken box from within the segment.

[see below]

there is no 10.1.5.x segment, there is only a 10.x segment. You have
both the working and non working box in the same network. I would be
double checking hte network masks at this point as it does sound like
you have a network masking problem. It may also help to know what boxes
(ip ranges) are working and what ones are not, what exactly are you
testing to.

like

on box a i can ssh to (using ip addresses)

10.1.5.1
10.1.6.1

but not 10.100.6.1

but 202.1.4.5 works as well

on box b all of the above work.

you could also try making your subnet masks smaller, your gateway is in
10.1.1.2 ? try reducing your mask to a /21 (255.255.248.0) and see if
that allows you to reach the dns servers - at this point tho, you should
really be getting a network tech involved or someone who has access to
the dns servers and see how they are configured.

--
Steve