Moving /home to a LVM

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Thu Dec 20 08:32:13 UTC 2007

Sorin Srbu <> scribbled on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:44 PM:

Basic steps (taken from our dept's support-kb). All steps done as root:

1. Inform user of plans to add new harddrive and tell them to backup anything
important off of the particular computer should anything go seriously
pearshaped.

2. Shutdown computer.

3. Install new hd.

4. Boot computer.

5. Set computer to runlevel 1 (single-user login), so that no users may log on
while finishing the move.

6. Check /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig to find out what the hd is actually called.
Should normally be "hdb".

7. Run "fdisk /dev/hdb" to prepare the new disk.

8. Press p to see a partition list.

9. Press n to create a new partition hdb1. Use primary, 1, 1 and the default
settings.

10. Press w to write the partition data and stuff to disk.

11. Run "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdb1" to format the partition.

12. Move the old /home to eg /home.bak, "mv /home /home.bak".

13. Create new /home, "mkdir /home".

14. Mount the new new hd to /home, "mount /dev/hdb1 /home".

15. Copy the data from /home.bak to /home, "cp -vrf /home.bak /home".

16. Edit /etc/fstab to automount /dev/hdb1 as /home at boot. Copy the deault
settings; compare with other mounts in fstab.

17. Reboot.

18. Ensure the computer is running at runlevel 5 (multiuser with X).

[19. Optional: Leave /home.bak in place until you see all is working as it
should, after this you can delete it as appropriate.]

HTH.