unable to login as oracle user

Troy Knabe knabe at 4j.lane.edu
Fri Feb 2 20:27:01 UTC 2007

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:00:55 -0800
>> From: Troy Knabe <knabe at 4j.lane.edu>
>>
>> We have 3 Red Hat 4.4 AS Servers running RAC 10G.  Today one of them had
>> load averages of over 160.  But processors were 99% idle.
>
> That's dreadful!
>
>> None of the RAC boxes were responding during this time.  I
>> was able to login fine (my local user), and sudo su -.  But
>> when I tried to sudo su - oracle, it just hung.  Finally
>> rebooting fixed the issue.  As I have been looking through
>> log files, this is the only thing "weird" I have found.
>>  We only use local authentication on the box.
>>
>> /var/log/secure:
>>
>> Feb  2 08:22:14 orarac1 login: PAM unable to
>> dlopen(/lib/security/pam_limits.so)
>
> PAM *is* local - check to see if the file /lib/security/pam_limits.so exists, and what the permissions and ownership are. PAM is the authentication system that comes with all Linux these days.

Yes, I was just trying to give as much info as possible, so people
didn't ask if I was ldap authenticating for instance.

The file is there, with permissions 755 root:root.  Last time it was
altered was May 12th, 2006, same timestamp as most everything else.

The thing that really confuses me, is why did the error appear when we
tried to su - oracle, and not when attempting to go to root, or login as
a "normal" user.

> I'd worry that something happened to your box, either accidentally, or through an attack.

I haven't eliminated that as a possibility (especially the accidental
thought)

-Troy