Kernel panic when LVM VG is changed

tlann at technoeclectic.com tlann at technoeclectic.com
Tue Feb 6 18:41:44 UTC 2007

I'm running into a kernel panic when I change the VolGroup that the system
is in.  I'll go more into how I do this in a minute.  But the reason I do
it is that I must take a hard drive out of another system put it in
another system so the data can be copied.

I have 9 systems that have the default lvm install config. The 9th system
is used to put the harddrives from the 8 systems one at a time to read the
data from the drives.  I'm trying to change the VG VolGroup00 of system 9
to VolGroup99 so that I can mount the other system with VolGroup00 when I
need too.  Hopefully, with a usb adaptor or something of that sort.

What I do is boot system 9 with the Rescue CD and do a
# lvm vgchange -a n
and then
# lvm vgrename VolGroup00 VolGroup99
and I get a success message that the VG has been changed.  I test mount
the lv and I can read and write data fine.

I then reboot the system edit the line in grub on bootup to VolGroup99 and
get the kernel panic message below the line.

I'm using RedHat Enterprise Linux WS 4 Update 4 with kernel 2.6.9-46.ELsmp
which I found from the message forums.

Is their some sort of config I'm not changing that I'm supposed too?  I
thought the kernel update I applied was supposed to fix this.

Thanks,
Thomas

----------------------
root(hd0,0)
Filesystem type is extfs, partition type 0x83

Kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-46.ELsmp ro root=/dev/VolGroup99/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x1604fe]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-49.ELsmp.img
  [Linux-initrd at 0x37ef3000,0xfcaf9 bytes/
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the Kernel
Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.8 starting
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take awhile...
  Found volume group "VolGroup99" using metadata type lvm2
  Volume group "Vol"Group00" not found
Error: /bin/lvm exited abnormally! (pid 484)
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
Kernel panic - not synching: Attempted to kill init!