Apache & php5, RHEL 4

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Feb 8 23:58:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:36:36PM -0500, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
> >So, now I've got to put up a wiki, and it's *only* PHP 5. I've been told I
> >should build PHP 5. Fine, except that *everything* that I find googling
> >just assumes that I've built apache 2.
> >
> >Nope. It came pre-installed, presumably from binary rpms.
>
> I just realized I should have mentioned that the many copies of the distro
> that came with the server only have PHP 4 as an rpm, and for some reason (I
> and the other sysadmin believe it has to do with the corporate firewall), we
> haven't been able to register our release, and so can't get to the RedHat
> updates to d/l PHP 5 for the distro. (A link to such a d/l of a binary rpm
> would be equally appreciated, assuming it didn't require 432 other packages
> to be upgraded.)
>
> Oh, and there's a limit to what we can do, since we are still somewhat
> linked to corporate production, and *they* are still on REHL 3.
>
> *sigh*
>
>      mark

If you don't have any luck finding a pre-build RPM (try rpmforge or Dag's),
you can just download the php5 source tarball, uncompress and run ./configure
(with the options you want).  This should generate a .spec file that you can
use with rpmbuild.  Something like the following might work for you:

  # cd /usr/local/src
  # mkdir php
  # cd php
  # wget http://us2.php.net/php5-source.tar.gz
  # tar xvfz php5-source.tar.gz
  # cd php5
  # ./configure --my-options ...
  # ls -l php5.spec
  (confirm it exists, edit if you like)
  # cd ..
  # tar cvfz php5-custom.tar.gz php5
  # rpmbuild -tb php5-custom.tar.gz
  (much building occurs, hopefully with no errors)
  # rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/php5*.rpm

I haven't tried this myself, and the process may need to be tweaked a little
to get things to work, but the general idea should get you going in the right
direction.

Otherwise, just build from source... PHP's INSTALL file and other tutorials on
the web should make this pretty easy.

Ray