Locking shared memory

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 05:56:15 UTC 2007

Allen, Jack wrote:

> I do not think the error is because of the first explanation of ENOMEM
> So my question is based on the second one.
>
> Is there a kernel or vm parameter that controls how much memory a
> process can utilize?
>
> I am running RH AS 4.4 32 bit with 2GB of physical memory.
>
> Thanks in advance:
> Jack Allen

G'day Jack,

There is memlock limit in shell, changed using the ulimit command from
bash. See ulimit -l:

$ ulimit -l
32

The actual hard and soft limits are controlled on a Red Hat system using
the pam_limits pam module, using the config file /etc/security/limits.conf

Check the doc's from RHEL4 for the pam module for details :

/usr/share/doc/pam-0.77/txts/README.pam_limits

This may well be where the ENOMEM came from, as the default limit that a
user may lock memory is 32kB.

Cheers,
Michael