Need a script to update directories

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jeremy at linuxwiz.net
Tue Jan 2 17:39:13 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, Burke, Thomas G. <tg.burke at ngc.com> wrote:
>         Problem:  Copying everything is slow and, generally, painful.
> There's a couple 100 meg of data there.  I'm looking for a script to
> update the web directory with newer/missing files.  I don't mind at all
> if some stuff stays there, a true sync isn't necessary.  I just need to
> get all the new content pushed to the appropriate place.

rsync

I use this to rsync /var/www/html (and a few others) between a pair of
servers (for failover), but it can also be used to sync two
directories on a single host.  It does what you want, only updating
files instead of copying the whole tree.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, MCP, GCWN
http://www.linuxwiz.net/