rsh and rcp issues between AS4 and old AIX

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Sun Jan 7 23:53:50 UTC 2007

Buddy Jennings wrote:
> I have an old AIX box running some proprietary software where I must use
> rsh server <command> to sync data between the two boxes.  Ssh is not
> option for me.  The AIX box does not have Kerbos installed.
>
> rsh and rcp are working fine between AIX and an old SCO box which the RH
> box is replacing.
>
> I have turned off iptables until for troubleshooting, but not selinux
> because various software would have to be re-branded/registered when
> selinux renames the system.
>
> I can /usr/bin/rsh remote_server just fine between both directions on
> the AIX and RH box.
>
> However, /usr/bin/rsh remote_server <command> fails with
> remote_server:Connection timed out error.  This is also true with rcp.
>
> linux box is
> Linux myhost.my.com 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 25 17:24:31 EDT
> 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> AIX is AIX 4.3
>
> I really need to get this working, can any one help?
>
> thank you
> Buddy Jennings

Hi Buddy,

Check the KBase article :
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_40_5338.shtm

Short cut :
chkconfig rlogin on
chkconfig rexec on
chkconfig rsh on

then service xinetd restart

I have verified all these services work on RHEL4, with SElinux in
'enforcing' and the iptables firewall stopped. rcp on a Linux system
does not prompt for a password, so you need to have a /etc/hosts.equiv
on the RHEL4 system that defines the hosts and users allowed to rcp..

You can trouble shoot the network side by running tcpdump on the rsh-server:

tcpdump -i eth0 host remote-host

Note that when you rsh to a RHEL system running rsh-server, it attempts
a high port connection back to the client, so check out what you AIX
system expects.

Cheers
--
Michael Kearey