about httpd.conf and ssl.conf

mroth at cfl.rr.com mroth at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 18:46:21 UTC 2007

Let's start from the beginning. Don't have the ssl module loaded in
httpd.conf; instead, load it, at the top, in the ssl.conf.

You might want your non-secure virtual hosts (port 80) defined in the
httpd.conf, but if the real processing is in the secure part, then these
can be really minimal - not much more than
<VirtualHost>
hostname, ip, etc, and maybe index.
</VirtualHost>

Then, in the ssl.conf, AFTER THE MODULE LOAD - apache processes this
sequentially, after all, you have your secure viritual hosts.

Now, to make all this workable, you need to configure your networking.
(I used webmin, which made this quite simple.) Assuming you have only
one NIC, you would add
eth0:1 (you CAN NOT USE eth0:0), and assign it to the first virtual host
IP. For the second, it would be ath0:2, etc.

Once that's done, and the interfaces are enabled, *now* restart apache,
and you should be good to go.

        mark