mod_ext_filter with gunzip

Atul Tyagi tyagi.atul at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 18:34:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have issues with my disk usage on my webservers so I have a plan in mind.
Just wanted to know if I am on right track. I would like to gzip my contents
and use mod_ext_filter with gunzip. The deliverable I am looking at is, all
the contents are zipped and when contents move out of apache (
SetOutputFilter ) they are gunzipped and sent to the client. Hope the below
code will work.

I am using apache 2.0.52

 # mod_ext_filter directive to define the external filter
ExtFilterDefine gzip mode=output cmd=/bin/gunzip

<Location /gunzipped>
# core directive to cause the gunzip filter to be
# run on output
SetOutputFilter gunzip

# mod_header directive to add
Header set Content-Encoding gunzip
</Location>

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks,
Atul