[Q] Tool to Clone linux system from one server to another server?

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 04:09:53 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Evan Klitzke <eklitzke.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 04:15 +0800, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> > We are doing Disaster/recovery plan and need tool to
> > help us.
> >
> > The tool which can clone (backup)  LINUX system to
> > tape (whole system will be better, at least need /boot
> > and /).   We can bring that tape put itto new server
> > boot up and restore it.
>
> Tar is the most obvious choice for this, especially if you want to keep
> things simple. It obviously doesn't support incremental backups, which
> will probably be an issue it you are doing backups very often. If you
> want something more advanced, Amanda is a great tool (and free).

If you can manage it, have the hard-drive of the new system into the
existing one, do the disk image copy using dd and you'lll have the
exact copy of the system. Kudzu etc will sort out the hardware
differences at bootup. You just don't want both systems on the same
subnet at once however. Keep it as a hot standby. I use ufsdump on
solaris and dd on linux but don't quite have a script to pass on but
I'm sure you'll find it on the net.