iptables problem

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jeremy at linuxwiz.net
Thu Jan 18 09:30:15 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, tamer amr <tamer_linux at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi i have a strang problem
>  why any host can ssh me in the first list  but  can't in the second list
>
>  please i want to understand this case

Seeing as how the only difference between the two is a single rule, I
would hope it's obvious where you should be looking.

>  2    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:ssh

In the first list, you're explicitly allowing "NEW" connection to the
"ssh" port in.  In the second list, you're simply allowing traffic for
any already "ESTABLISHED" connections.

Please tell me this makes sense to you.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, MCP, GCWN