RHEL4 - permissions/groups and Samba

Gareth Llewellyn gareth.llewellyn at itvision.net
Thu Jan 25 17:13:30 UTC 2007

Hope this helps:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/appendix.html#ch12-SUIDSGID

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Davis, Jared Scott
Sent: 25 January 2007 16:53
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: RHEL4 - permissions/groups and Samba

I have multiple users editing documents in the www/html folder.  I set
up a group called web_admin that contains said users.  All of the files
under the web root are owned by my local account and the group is
web_admin.  We are using Samba to connect to the box.  The problem is as
follows:

I have a file:

-rwxrwxr-x  1 nilesn   web_admin  977 Jan 25 06:52 menu.css

When a user (davisjar) edits that file via Samba, the
permissions/owner/group change to this:

-rwxr--r--  1 davisjar davisjar   977 Jan 25 10:47 menu.css

Of couse I need the permissions and owner/group to stay the same.  Is
this a problem with Samba, i.e. some config option, or something else?

Thanks,

Jared Davis