SAN setup - multiple machines

Ali, Saqib docbook.xml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:47:52 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Nilesh Bansal <nileshbansal at gmail.com> wrote:
> This partition from is mounted on one of the machines,
> which is then exported to rest of 5 machines using NFS.

This is how it is usually done using a SAN. Remember this not a NAS
which has built-in filesystem (NFS).

> My question: Is there a reason why the SAN hosted partition can not be
> mounted by multiple machines.

A SAN slice acts like a physical drive - you wouldn't wanna connect
one single HDD to multiple computer.

> Are there any
> locking issues (files being modified simultaneously) than SAN can not
> handle.

yup. You need something like NFS, AFS, GFS, Lustre, or DFS to allow
multiple machines to access the same storage.

May I ask why you want connect multiple machines to the same SAN
slice? Is it for clustering?

saqib
http://www.linkedin.com/in/encryption