help me in IPTABLES

Geoff Rainey Geoff.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Wed Jul 18 05:47:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

My knowledge of IP tables is not too great. But I think this example you
have given is supposed to represent a flow of related DNS packets
between
This host, and a DNS server. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Now I think your INPUT chain rule is not necessary and should be handled
by an INPUT chain where the state is RELATED, or ESTABLISHED. I don't
think you
Need to specify the INPUT chain rule as you have done, so something like
The following is what you want. This accepts any packets in the listed
state
Which is proper firewall behaviour.

Iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Somebody else might like to add to this, or correct me if necessary.

Regards,
Geoff.