PHP 4 - R.I.P.

Davis, Jared Scott DavisJar at missouri.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:49:13 UTC 2007

Is Red Hat going to finally support PHP 5 now?  I had to compile 5 from source and updates via up2date are non-existent until RH supports it.

See: http://php.net <http://php.net/>

PHP 4 end of life announcement

[13-Jul-2007]

Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

For documentation on migration for PHP 4 to PHP 5, we would like to point you to our migration guide <http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php> . There is additional information available in the PHP 5.0 to PHP 5.1 <http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration51.php>  and PHP 5.1 to PHP 5.2 <http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration52.php>  migration guides as well.

Thanks,

jared davis.

Internet Administrator