problem with restore

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 10:16:31 UTC 2007

Dear ALL;

I am using REDHAT 9 server and doin a back up on remote tape but the restore gives prblem

  let me expalin

  I have a redhad 9 server and my tape drive is on a SUN Solaris server.
  iam backing up the redhat 9 server on the tape drive attached to the SUN machine
  thats doin a remote backup

  the tape is dds3 type.

  i use the command from the linux machine to backup on tape attached to SUn server

  rdump 0f xx.xx.xx.02:/dev/rmt/0hbn /

  and it backs up succesfully witout any errors

  but i want to restore now
  so from the linux machine i use  the command

  restore -if xx.xx.xx.02:/dev/rmt/0hbn

  but it gives me a error message

  Connection to xx.xx.xx.02 established.  ----- where  xx.xx.xx.02is the SUN server IP
  restore: Tape is not a dump tape

  if i use tar command

  tar -tvf xx.xx.xx.02:/dev/rmt/0hbn it says

  tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header

  now if i go to the SUN sparc machine and run tar command

  tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0hbn

  it says
  tar: directory checksum error

  if i run ufsrestore

  ufsrestore -ivh /dev/rmt/0hbn

  its says

  Verify volume and initialize maps
Media block size is 20
Volume is not in dump format

  how can i test my restore .. or which command can i run with swiches for a sucessful restore

  also how can i list the contents of tape

  thanks and Regards

  simon