using sysstat

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jlgaddis at ivytech.edu
Tue Jun 26 21:49:17 UTC 2007

Caricofe, Bradley wrote:
> Thanks guys, I actually tried iostat and the other commands and
> received the same "command not found" message.  However I just
> ran an up2date on sysstat and now it's working.  Strange because
> grepping up2date showed it already there before I updated it.
> Anyways...thanks much!

>From your original e-mail, you ran...

[root at secure ~]# up2date --showall | grep sysstat
sysstat-5.0.5-15.0.1.el4.i386

...which takes a list of *all available* packages (up2date --showall)
and then only shows you those which match sysstat (grep sysstat).  What
you should have been running instead is "rpm -qa|grep sysstat", which
queries the list of installed packages.  When you ran "up2date sysstat"
what you actually did is to install it (not update it).

HTH,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis