Network Card Issue

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Jun 27 16:26:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:25:26PM +0100, Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com wrote:
> I am running a Redhat Linux ES version 3 machine with network card that can
> run at 10, 100 or 1000 mbits. I have just noticed that for some reason it
> is only running on 10 mbits and we need this machine in particular to run
> at 1000 mbits. I am currently not able to get on the Redhat gui interface
> but can at command line due to an additional issue. Could anyone tell me
> how I check the speed the network card is actually running at and let me
> know a way of getting it running on 1000 mbits.

You want to look at ethtool or mii-tool.

ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 should force the card to gigabit... watch
for errors and check /var/log/messages and dmesg output for any issues.

You might tweak with the duplex settings as well (see man ethtool)

Are you at the latest kernel/updates for your system?  Perhaps newer
drivers would address your problem.

Ray