dhcp and Dynamic DNS -- Multi-Boot OS clients

Scott Ruckh sruckh at gemneye.org
Mon Mar 12 18:17:51 UTC 2007

George Magklaras wrote:
> Look in the /var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases (or wherever your dhcp leases
> are placed in your setup) and try to locate the windows and linux
> incarnation lease statements of the box in question. I would probably
> say (I can only guess) that there is a difference between the lease
> for the windows and the linux instance, in that Windows incarnations
> tend to define additional bits in their lease statements such as a
> 'uid' statement that obfuscates your MAC address with a 1 and sends it
> over, in addition to the Ethernet broadcast that makes your DHCP
> server aware of who is asking for an IP. A linux client will not use
> that uid bit, so it does not send explicitly some coded info. That's
> OK for DHCP, but not OK for your RRset DDNS ops.
>
> If you don't make the two OSes to send #exactly# the same amount of
> info (your RRset record in DNS should use both the uid and the
> hardware MAC address to identify the system in question) the RRset
> record will be void and you will get problems similar to the ones you
> describe.
>
> The key is to make the Windowz and the Penguin behave exactly the
> same, so in that case, if you have a uid statement in the Windows
> lease, go to the Linux #client# OS /etc/dhclient.conf file and issue a
> statement like:
>
> send dhcp-client-identifier YOUR-MAC-ADDRESS-HERE
>
> in order to emulate the Windows uid bit.
>
> If it is not that, I don't know.
>
> GM

Thank you for the response.  That is the trail that I was on, but
apparently I have not found the key because even after changing the uid
I still have the same issue.  I tried setting uid in linux to
"1:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" ; where the last part is the MAC address for the
interface.  I also upgraded DHCPd just to see if that helps, but it did
not.

I have been trying to utilize wireshark, to track down the issue.  I
obviously have had this problem for a long time, and just did not know
about it until recently (added more dual boot systems to the network).

I appreciate the response.

Thanks.
Scott