Thoughts on "enterprise" storage solution. [NC]

brian.blouin at sgcib.com brian.blouin at sgcib.com
Mon Mar 19 22:27:10 UTC 2007

Think about changing gears to use a network appliance.  The NAS vendors
typically do both unix style permission's as well as CIFS.  They have
point in time snapshot capabilities, and mechanisms to sync. data to a
Disaster Recovery site.  Anyway, I moved all of our NFS shares from a SUN
platform over to NetApps appliance ; plus I got rid of all the samba
servers.  All of the user home directories were migrated as well.   I was
very pleased with the solution

Regards,
Brian

Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Sent by: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
03/19/2007 05:30 PM
Please respond to
General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: Thoughts on "enterprise" storage solution.

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Hey all, this is probably slightly off-topic, but I figured it might be
a good
> place to start.
>
> We're looking at replacing our "old" home directory storage solution.
> Essentially it's a bunch of old Solaris boxes sharing their disks via
NFS.
> Users log on their various systems using NIS/LDAP and using automount
are able
> to access their home directories off this server.
>
> Several solutions have been proposed... dedicated SAN's and such with a
couple
> front-ends.  All have fairly steep price tags and typically end up
involving
> Sun hardware.
>
> I'm trying to come up with some alternate solutions, hopefully using
RHEL on
> Dell/other hardware.  Is RH's NFS performance/stability up their with
Sun's?
> I know in the past it's been recommended to go with a BSD for solid
Intel NFS
> performance.
>
> What type of solutions do some of you use out there for this type of
shared
> disk or home directory providing services?  Any specific lists where
this type
> of thing might be discussed and/or be on-topic?  Using GFS with
something like
> a PowerVault or EMC looks interesting...

I found NFS version 3 on RHEL to be reliable.  Version 4 is not, IMO,
ready for prime time.  I have a 197 G LV full of home directories I
export using both samba and NFS.

It's been about three years since my last Sun box went away but as I
recall, the Linux automounter worked much better than the Sun version.

--
Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Systems Engineer

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.