OpenVZ or linux-vserver in the RHEL kernel

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 08:29:11 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Rik Herrin <rikherrin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I was wondering if RHEL had any plans on
> incorporating either OpenVZ or linux-vserver as part
> of the kernel for OS level virtualization.  I know
> that there are RPMs that are downloadable that provide
> this functionality, but these are unsupported by Red
> Hat.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your input.

I don't know of any plans by Red Hat to support OpenVZ.  Their
virtualization strategy seem fairly straightforward and focused on Xen.
However they have stated a disire to support KVM in future versions of RHEL
(RHEL-6?) because they contribute to the libvirt which is pretty generic.  I
suspect they'd support OpenVZ if it could be managed by libvirt.

I don't know how much life is left in solutions like Open VZ considering the
arival of solutions like Xen and KVM.  I'll admit that its very fast because
of the shared kernel (I use hosting service that uses it for a personal VM)
but its just not very flexible.  Needing to coordinate with all of the
clients for your guest VMs is just alot of organizational overhead.  It
works well for low SLA hosting companies (I've been happy with mine) or for
huge farms of like VMs but doesn't translate well to enterprise customers
trying to host many different environments.  I just don't see Red Hat
investing much time into solutions like OpenVZ.

I don't work for Red Hat so this is nothing more than speculation.

Russell