Getting the bootloader to display so I can boot different OS

I have a dual boot RHEL and XP machine. When I have the RHEL OS booted and I do a shutdown -r now it reboots but it doesnt' show the grub splash screen so that I can choose to boot from XP. When the machine is actually powered off and I power it on I get the splash screen.

How do I get the boot loader screen to show up when I'm logged into Red Hat and want to switch
to XP?

Thanks very much.
David Martini
LLNL