rpcinfo -p doesn't work

Dave Martini 1 martini1 at llnl.gov
Mon May 7 20:17:15 UTC 2007

I don't even have the firewall turned on on the client so how could it
be the client having the problem?

client# service iptables status
Firewall is stopped.

I get this error

client# rpcinfo -p server
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out

What does that error mean?

client# iptables -nL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)