secondary DNS probem

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Wed May 16 18:01:24 UTC 2007

sylvan dacounha wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>   I have a REDHAT box running bind and been working fine for last few
> months.
>   this server was hosting my other other local domains also which were all
> workin fine
>
>   i installed a new redhat machine with bind to be a secondary or slave
> named server a week ago as per the documentation .
>    so if my primary server goes down  all my clients and the inrternet
> users can still access my my web sites.
>
>   Now when i restart my primary i c the zones gettin transferred to my
> secondary DNS which i newly setup and when i do a nslookup goin into the
> server for internet sites ex: www.yahoo.com it does not resolve them
>
>   but the sites hosted in my netwrok im able to resolve them fine
>
>   here the details
>
>   my master name server                .. ns1.kmun.gov.kw    ----  IP
> 62.150.152.1
>    slave server which new installed   .. ns2.kmun.gov.kw -------  IP
> 62.150.152.2

Looks like 62.150.152.2 is set with recursion off.  That means it will
only answer for zones it is authoritative for.  If you want it to be a
server for others to query, set recursion to yes.  You are using Bind 9
(v9.3.4) so you can set an access list for allow-recursion.

Something like:

acl allowed-nets { x.x.x.0/24; y.y.200.0/21; };

options {
   recursion yes;
   allow-recursion { allowed-nets; };
};

The allow-recursion is optional but without it, sooner or later, some
dickhead script kiddie will try a DOS on you.

>   if i go to server ns1.kmun.gov.kw or the ip i can resolve both the
> internet sites as well as my local domain ...
>
>   appreciate ur help
>
>   thnks and Regards
>

>   simon

Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>