Server Room

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Wed May 23 13:14:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:42:33AM +0200, Mad Unix wrote:
> Out of your experience people...
> How to design a good server Room?

Clearly, requirements are different between small to medium offices and
full installations.  In the past, I've worked for large corporations
and the server rooms ranged from the traditional glass room on to the
huge server farms.  For the past four years, I've been focused on the
small to medium offices--often without the luxury of custom HVAC or
wiring, sometimes without even the understaning of the need for a
dedicated IT space.

Below is a pointer to a paper I put together to explain the needs of IT
in even a small organization:

  http://www.dminet.com/papers/IT_Space_Planning.pdf

One thing that's worked out extremely well is putting one or more UPS
units in the IT space, with dedicated high-voltage runs to the end user
work areas.  (It has also been extremely difficult, at least in Chicago,
to get the electricians to understand how I wanted it done...)  I can't
tell you how much easier--and, ultimately, cheaper--it is to manage
a single, centralized UPS installation instead of dozens of individual
units from various manufacturers.  Of course, not everyone has the luxury
of a full buildout and the budget for the additional conduit and wiring;
but if you can get it, DO IT.  (Well, there is one problem--keeping them
from plugging laser printers into the conditioned power outlets...)

G'luck,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.