Which package is the mt command in?

Walters, Mark Mark.Walters at McKesson.com
Fri Nov 2 15:28:04 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ann kok [mailto:annkok2001 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 6:06 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list; chuck.carson at gmail.com;
j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Which package is the mt command in?

Sorry to interrupt

But If i don't have this /usr/bin/mt command in
Redhat, I only get this command from another eg:
debian or
freebsd

how can I know the package for this command from
Redhat to install?

Thank you

--- John O'Loughlin <j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:

> rpm -qf /usr/bin/mt
>
> John
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Chuck wrote:
>
> > Anyone know what package the mt (magnetic tape)
> command is included in?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > CC
> > --

-
Hi, as noted, if you don't have the rpm installed the "rpm -qf" won't
work.

To workaround this, install the rpmdb package.  This package keeps track
of all redhat files and their associated rpm. The down side is you must
know the full path to it which could be tricky.  If the path is unknown
I try:
Google or obvious paths ie; /usr/sbin, /sbin, /bin, /usr/bin, or pound
my head against the screen.

# rpm --redhatprovides /bin/mt