Sudo & su

Carville, Stephen scarville at LANDAM.com
Sun Nov 4 06:42:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:22:16 -0500 (CDT)
"Chris St. Pierre" <stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu> wrote:

>> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Carville, Stephen wrote:

>> > Do not give it all then try to deny certain commands.  Any reasonably smart use
>> > can defeat that.  Start with nothing and allow only what is necessary.
>>
>> This is _excellent_ advice.
>>
>> Let's say you give someone sudo but don't allow them to run 'su'.  I
>> can think of half a dozen ways off the top of my head to get around
>> that:
>>
>> 'sudo bash'; run su
>> 'sudo screen'; run su
>> 'sudo emacs'; M-x shell; run su
>> 'sudo script su'
>> Write a shell script that invokes su and run it with sudo
>> 'true | sudo xargs su'
>>
>> That was after about 30 seconds of thought.  A dedicated attacker
>> could find significantly more avenues of attack.

> less, vi and a number of other innocent looking programs
> can be used to invoke a shell.

If you _really_ have to give sudo root permission to one of those programs,
get the src RPM, rebuild without the shell escape, and install the modified
version.

Frankly I think shell escapes should be eliminated but that's another argument.

--
Stephen