Dell "software"

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Thu Nov 8 01:36:58 UTC 2007

So, at work today, I realized I had to rebuild this server - it was on RHEL 3,
and it really needed 4 (corporate hasn't looked at 5 yet).

It's a Dell PowerEdge 850 - a blade. I, foolishly, put in the RHEL CDs that
came with all these systems.... and the RH install program can't find the CD it
booted from. After much irritation, I find a Dell package of CDs that you are
apparently supposed to boot from; it's even got an install for RHEL 4. Great.

AND SOME COMPLETE JACKASS AT DELL - what was this, release 8.9, and all by kids
for whom this was their first job out of school? - FORCE YOU TO FORMAT ALL
PARTITIONS. No options. No letting the RH install Disk Druid do it.

So everything I had aside on /opt is toast, and that'll be hours more work.

No, I can't recommend this crap.

	mark