Dell "software"

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Thu Nov 8 08:24:03 UTC 2007

mark <> scribbled on Thursday, November 08, 2007 2:37 AM:

> So, at work today, I realized I had to rebuild this server - it was on
> RHEL 3, and it really needed 4 (corporate hasn't looked at 5 yet).
>
> It's a Dell PowerEdge 850 - a blade. I, foolishly, put in the RHEL CDs
> that came with all these systems.... and the RH install program can't
> find the CD it booted from. After much irritation, I find a Dell package
> of CDs that you are apparently supposed to boot from; it's even got an
> install for RHEL 4. Great.
>
> AND SOME COMPLETE JACKASS AT DELL - what was this, release 8.9, and all
> by kids for whom this was their first job out of school? - FORCE YOU TO
> FORMAT ALL PARTITIONS. No options. No letting the RH install Disk Druid
> do it.
>
> So everything I had aside on /opt is toast, and that'll be hours more
> work.
>
> No, I can't recommend this crap.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this way of restoring an os-install on a
brand-name server (on clients as well) is rather common. I'm surprised you
didn't know about this. On the bright side; you only tend to do this once...

Same thing with windows if you use the restore-cd:s.

It's all in the name of simplicity and all, which I guess is a good thing. But
at least on a server one would presumably want some more options before the
automatic thingie wipes it all...