Building RPM from binary installer

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Fri Nov 9 15:48:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

I want to build an RPM frm a binary installer (a .bin file),
unfortunately the installer uses the value of RPM_BUILD_ROOT in the
scripts it generates.

Because of this none of the scripts work since they look for their files
in /var/tmp/... .

I have even tried not ot install the software in the BUILD_ROOT or
setting the BUILD_ROOT to /usr/local/... But if I do this rpmbuild looks
for these files below the build root rather than below / so it can't
find them.

Next I tried to generate the list of files and include that rather than
specifying them in the spec file but I ran into the same issue.

The only option I see now would be to install the binary installer to
e.g. /usr/local/src and run the installer as a %post script but that
would leave the installer and it's properties file on disk.

What is the proper way to deal with a situation like this?

Kind regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB