Is there something like linuxconf or yast for RHEL around?

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:26:35 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 9:43 AM, David Cooper <dclinuxlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've not touched redhat since 9.0 (except for fedora once or twice on
> a laptop) but the other day I was doing some remote work in a fresh
> new server and it's not that I don't know how to
> add users etc by cli, but is there no longer a utility such as
> "linuxconf"? Something like SuSE's "yast" from command line for
> managing everything from users to services etc?
>
> I know there's all the system-config-xxxxxx scripts, but those are all
> GUI tools.
>
> Just curious.
>
> I know there's Webmin, but isn't there something made by redhat and
> rolled out by redhat?
>
> Also does anyone else think it odd that there's no in depth redhat
> docs for command line administration of the server? I downloaded all
> the docs, just to find out there mostly dumbed down simple
> guides to using the GUI tools. WHAT!  Where's the good stuff?
>
> Thanks.

>I know there's all the system-config-xxxxxx scripts, but those are all
>GUI tools.

I'm pretty sure if you run those system-config-xxxxx scripts from the
command line they have ncurses based equivalents. They do in RHEL4 anyway.
Haven't played much with 5.

Yast is also available for RHEL, from Oracle funnily enough. Here is the
address to download it:

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/yast/

--
Romeo Theriault