Mixing SATA and SCSI disks

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Wed Nov 14 09:38:19 UTC 2007

Marcelino Mata <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:39 AM:

RHEL3 on all my machines having an nforce-chipset (with sata) have needed
handson-fixes. RHEL3 with intel-chipsets (and sata) works out of the box here.

Intel+sata+scsi works fine but you might have to tweak the bios in order to
set it to something rhel can recognise. I've had recent problems with
installing RHEL4u3 on three machines using sata cdrom and scsi-disks. The
isntaller recognises scsi fine, but is sensitive to how sata is emulated/set
in bios.

My findings, IIRC, was to set the bios to use ahci/sata but emulate ide (all
ide does not work, and neither does all-sata). This is also a known problem
with Asus mobos in combination with phoenix-bioses IIRC.

Newer releases of RHEL may have had this fixed, don't know for sure. CentOS5
installs fine in VMWare with sata emulation I think.