Problem Mounting EMC Lun via fstab

I have a RHEL 5 system that is trying to mount an EMC lun during boot. When
I have it set in /etc/fstab is complains that the device doesn't exist. If I
enter the root password it puts me into a read-only filesystem where I can't
modify /etc/fstab. (I must boot into rescue mode using cd to fix it)

/etc/fstab:
/dev/emcpowera         /u01                    ext3    defaults        0 2

However, if I don't mount it via fstab and wait until the system is booted
to mount it -- it mounts fine.

I'm guessing that powerpath is not being started early enough or its taking
longer than it should to initialize. Im mostly a sun guy so where exactly
should power path be started or is it somehow called from somewhere else? Im
not even seeing an entry in /etc/rc2.d or /etc/rc3.d that starts power path.
There is a script in /etc/init.d, but I cannot determine from where and when
it is called, if it even is. (the script doesn't have the normal chkconfig
run level config info near the top like most do) But somehow once the system
is booted power path is running and the emcpowera device has been
initialized.

Unfortunately I can't use native linux multipathing on this node.

Thx for any help
/CC