Broadcom 59xx interface - network woes continue.

Wartnick, James James.Wartnick at bestbuy.com
Tue Sep 11 13:09:46 UTC 2007

Everyone,

I have been struggling with this new dell laptop 1420 for the past
couple of months, and I have posted some similar questions on a prior
occasion. I'm
hoping that someone has encountered the same problems and have actually
gotten this to work. I have been trying to get either the Broadcom 59xx
gigabit network interface and/or the intel wireless interface working.
After about a month of frustration with the intel driver, I'm back
focusing
on the Broadcom 59XX driver again (without success).

I've tried ndiswrapper with the XP driver without the success
(completely messes up the router and everything attached to it). So I
checked out
broadcom's website for their driver. They have a 57XX driver for linux
which I installed. It seems to install without issues - and I'm able to
start up the
interface. However, for some reason it doesn't detect any link. This is
the closest I've gotten thus far (without system and/or router hangs)
and am
wondering if someone can help me get this thing working. When I look at
the routing tables and configuration, all information looks good. When I
type: ethtool eth1, I get some information, but at the bottom it states:
"link detected: no" - which I think is the problem. Because of that, I
can not ping the router or any other computer on the network. It states
the "destination is unreachable".

When I look at /var/log/messages, it states
"Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex", <nl>
"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready" <nl>
New relevant interface eth1.IPv4 for mDNS
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth1.IPv4 with address
192.168.1.11
Registering new address record for 192.168.1.11 on eth1
Withdrawing address record for 192.168.1.11 on eth1
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth1.IPv4 with address
192.168.1.11

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I hope I'm close - and sorry for the
redundant posts.

Thanks.

- -Jim