Auto Shutdown of Oracle Needs Lock File in /Var/Lock/Subsys

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Fri Sep 14 12:52:32 UTC 2007

I ran into this with some custom processes also.  It turns out that the
"rc" command (which is what actually switches runlevels) checks to see
if there are files in /var/lock/subsys.  If the files are there, the rc
command will process K* scripts.  If they are missing, the rc command
skips the shutdown on the assumption that the processes are already
stopped.  It took me several weeks to finally figure that out.

>From /etc/rc.d/rc:
# First, run the KILL scripts.
for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/K* ; do
        check_runlevel "$i" || continue

        # Check if the subsystem is already up.
        subsys=${i#/etc/rc$runlevel.d/K??}
        [ -f /var/lock/subsys/$subsys -o -f
/var/lock/subsys/$subsys.init ] || continue
#####     ^^^^^ If /var/lock/subsys/subsys or subsys.init exist...  ^^^
Otherwise move to the next subsystem
#####           subsys is the name of the init script (in your case
dbora)

It's that test there that is causing the behavior.

The corresponding part in the startup section is:
# Now run the START scripts.
for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/S* ; do
        check_runlevel "$i" || continue

        # Check if the subsystem is already up.
        subsys=${i#/etc/rc$runlevel.d/S??}
        [ -f /var/lock/subsys/$subsys -o -f
/var/lock/subsys/$subsys.init ] && continue
#####     ^^^^^ If /var/lock/subsys/subsys or subsys.init exist then
move to the next subsystem since it's already up
#####           subsys is the name of the init script (in your case
dbora)

Maarten Broekman