Adding new disk to volume group

Geofrey Rainey Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Wed Sep 26 23:18:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

Here are the steps you need to do (they should be fine, but
Let me know if you have any issues, and the associated error
Because I might have missed something):

Step 1. create a partition on your new disk:

# fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d1

Once within fdisk, type the following (what you enter is between <> )

Command (m for help): <n>

Command action
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)

Partition number (1-4):
<1>

First cylinder (1- ...): <press enter to select default>
Last cylinder ... : <press enter to select default>

Now, you will find yourself back at the main prompt. You will want to
now
Change the partition's ID to Linux LVM

Command (m for help): <t>

Hex code (type L to list codes): <8e>

<w> - to write the partition table.

Now you should be back in the shell.

Step 2. create a new physical volume:

# pvcreate /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 (I think this is what it should be if you
have only made one single partition on the new disk).

Step 3. Add your new physical volume to your existing volume group

# pvextend VolGroup00 /dev/cciss/c0d1p1

Assuming the above worked, if you now type "vgdisplay -v", you should
see two
physical volumes at the bottom of the output, and an increase in
capacity of
In the following line:  "Free  PE / Size       98 / 3.06 GB"

Regards,
Geofrey Rainey.