How to create encrypted password via command line

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 13:10:05 UTC 2007

Anne Moore wrote:
> Thanks, Nigel. I'll give it a shot today and see what happens.
>
> Anne

I should have added to this that there must surely be an ACL of this
form somewhere in slapd.conf. The "by anonymous auth" part is required
to allow authentication by binding, which is what nss_ldap does. If you
can authenticate logins by nss_ldap then I'm pretty sure anonymous auth
has to be enabled in slapd.conf.

The line:

dn="uid=<rootbinddn>,dc=your root" write

allows root to change a users password using passwd/nss_ldap. The dn is
what you specified as rootbinddn in /etc/ldap.conf.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555