Can not see LUNs attached to FA's above 255 on EMC DMX usingRHEL5.1 and emulex HBA'a

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Thu Apr 17 08:53:31 UTC 2008

> As far as I recall, 256 is a linux limit.
>
> Any possibility of putting the LUNs in larger HW arrays on your SAN so
as
> limit the number of LUNs you're importing?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

Hi
I can confirm, 256 is the maximum number of LUN's supported by the
Emulex driver.

The maximum number of LUNs supported with the Emulex driver is 256
(0-256 Lun numbers) for each host HBA port. 3PARdata tested a maximum of
512 SCSI devices on the server (total of all LUNs on the system).
* A multi-pathed VV sent to the server counts as two SCSI devices on the
host. For a server that was tested with 512 devices on the Emulex HBAs,
256 multi-path VVs are supported.
* Any extra LUNs exported beyond the maximum will not be seen on the
host.
* The maximum LUN number export allowed is 256, any device exported
beyond this LUN number will not be seen

Regards