Xen and SELinux Issue

Paul M. Whitney paul.whitney at mac.com
Tue Apr 29 12:51:51 UTC 2008

Forgive me if this question belongs in a different forum, but not sure how
to even begin to resolve this.

I am running RHEL AS 5.1. I noticed when building a Vista image, SELinux
blocked a Xen process. I had to eventually put SELinux into permissive mode
to get Xen working. Here is the error that was generated. Is there a fix for
this or do I need to create a new rule for SELinux?

Summary

    SELinux is preventing /sbin/losetup (fsadm_t) "append" to /var/run/xen-

    hotplug/block (udev_var_run_t).

Detailed Description

    SELinux denied access requested by /sbin/losetup. It is not expected
that

    this access is required by /sbin/losetup and this access may signal an

    intrusion attempt. It is also possible that the specific version or

    configuration of the application is causing it to require additional
access.

Allowing Access

    Sometimes labeling problems can cause SELinux denials.  You could try to

    restore the default system file context for /var/run/xen-hotplug/block,

    restorecon -v /var/run/xen-hotplug/block If this does not work, there is

    currently no automatic way to allow this access. Instead,  you can
generate

    a local policy module to allow this access - see

    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385 Or you can
disable

    SELinux protection altogether. Disabling SELinux protection is not

    recommended. Please file a
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi

    against this package.

Additional Information

Source Context                system_u:system_r:fsadm_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh

Target Context                system_u:object_r:udev_var_run_t

Target Objects                /var/run/xen-hotplug/block [ file ]

Affected RPM Packages         util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5 [application]

Policy RPM                    selinux-policy-2.4.6-104.el5

Selinux Enabled               True

Policy Type                   targeted

MLS Enabled                   True

Enforcing Mode                Permissive

Plugin Name                   plugins.catchall_file

Host Name                     localhost.localdomain

Platform                      Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-53.el5xen

                              SMP Wed Oct 10 16:48:44 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64

Alert Count                   21

Line Numbers

Raw Audit Messages

avc: denied { append } for comm="losetup" dev=dm-0 egid=0 euid=0

exe="/sbin/losetup" exit=0 fsgid=0 fsuid=0 gid=0 items=0 path="/var/run/xen-

hotplug/block" pid=5041 scontext=system_u:system_r:fsadm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
sgid=0

subj=system_u:system_r:fsadm_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 suid=0 tclass=file

tcontext=system_u:object_r:udev_var_run_t:s0 tty=(none) uid=0

thank you,

Paul Whitney