Case inSensitivity File system for Linux

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 10 02:22:20 UTC 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 6:15 PM, mark wrote:
> Jai Rangi wrote:
>>
>> I am new to the list and not sure if this is the right place to ask
>> this
>> question. Also I already have done some googling without much
>> success,
>>
>> I need a file system in Linux which is not case sensitive. I tried
>> JFS,
>> but it keeps crashing, so looking for something more stable.
>>
>> Idea is that ABC.txt should be same as abc.txt ad AbC.txt.
>>
>> Does anyone know something reliable case insensitive file system that
>> can be deployed at the enterprise level?
>
> Sorry, but all Unix is, by definition (AFAIK) case sensitive. Maybe
> there's
> some odd shell that would work for you, but I don't know of it.
>
> <satire>
> I've got it, someone could write a WinDoze shell for Unix!
> </satire>

Wel, this is not the solution to the original poster's problem (and is
probably off-topic for the list), but your definition is wrong.  The
default HFS+ filesystem in Mac OS X, which has (arguably) sold more
copies of a Unix-based operating system then any other in the history
of Unix, is not case-sensitive:

[0]sklarbook:~ $ uname -a
Darwin sklarbook.local 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar  4
21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
[0]sklarbook:~ $ rm ABC.TXT abc.txt
rm: ABC.TXT: No such file or directory
rm: abc.txt: No such file or directory
[1]sklarbook:~ $ echo "hello" > ABC.TXT