Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group appvg.

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Mon Aug 25 12:15:08 UTC 2008

Your pvdisplay suggests that this PV is somehow problematic (the PV UUID
  reported at the beginning matches this one below, so something is
wrong with either that hard drive or with the lvm metadata). It seems to
me that the 300 Gig drive is buggered, but at your own risk, the best
course of action is to do a:

vgdisplay --partial -vvv

This might be able to fish out the PV name for that failed drive. If
that is the case, go and do a:

pvcreate --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/appvg \
--uuid Z4xoNI-TSvQ-iNZm-acHi-EPMZ-yJR3-qZUOCT  [insert recovered PV name
here]

If that is successful, you can attempt to restore the VG by doing a:

vgcfgrestore --file /etc/lvm/backup/appvg appvg

If all goes well and the drive is in a suitable condition, you should
really see a message like:
"Restore volume group appvg"

Then you can attempt to read the data or PVmove this part to another
good drive.

GM

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios