What is needed for a minimal X(org) client installation?

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Mon Aug 25 14:25:27 UTC 2008

Hi

I need to run a graphical application (the Oracle Client Installer) on a
RHEL4ES server.  At the same time I'm trying to keep the installed
software to a minimum.

If I remember correctly it isn't necessary to install an X server to run
X applications (remotely) but I can't figure which packages are needed
to run X clients.  I already installed xorg-x11-libs and xorg-X11-xauth
but launching system-config-mouse (just a test-case) still reports:
"Starting graphical mode failed.  Starting text mode instead."

The X server on my (Windows) workstation is running, I'm able to launch
X applications on another (RHEL3ES) server where the full blown X has
been installed.  So there must be some package(s) still missing but I
can't find any documentation on this.

http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/configuring-redhat-linux
-for-oracle-10gr2-client-installation/ lists the following prereqs for
the installation of an Oracle Client but I'm hoping I won't be needing
all this.

binutils-2.15.92.0.2-13.EL4
compat-db-4.1.25-9
compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.7.2
control-center-2.8.0-12
gcc-3.4.3-22.1.EL4
gcc-c++-3.4.3-22.1.EL44
glibc-2.3.4-2.9
glibc-common-2.3.4-2.9
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-44.1
libstdc++-3.4.3-22.1
libstdc++-devel-3.4.3-22.1
make-3.80-5
pdksh-5.2.14-30
sysstat-5.0.5-1
xscreensaver-4.18-5.rhel4.2
setarch-1.6-1

(I know that control-center and xscreensaver are needed for the
installation of an Oracle DB.)

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB