Kernel update for RHEL 5

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Dec 24 18:33:57 UTC 2008

Ben Kevan wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:17:52 -0800, Bledsoe, Howard W CIV CNRNW, N632WI
> <howard.bledsoe at navy.mil> wrote:
>>
>>     How can I update the kernel for my RHEL 5 systems?  I am not
>> permitted to connect them to the Internet, but may download files and
>> burn them to CD.  Since I will not be doing development work, should I
>> download all 14 or 15 files?
>>
>>     Is this procedure documented somewhere?  Can anyone recommend a
>> book?
>> ------------------
>> IT Functionary, Navy Region Northwest
>> 360-257-5673, DSN 820-5673, Fax 257-5315
>> howard.bledsoe at navy(.smil).mil, howard.bledsoe at nrnic.ic.gov
>
> My question is "is the kernel update required".
> If no, then why are you doing it?

If he needs to - and, given he's emailing from navy.mil, I'm suspecting it
might be, if nothing else than for bugfixes and security patches, then Joey's
procedure is the one you really want to follow.

One REALLY IMPORTANT POINT: install using rpm -ivh. DO NOT USE -U - you do
*not* want to do an in-place upgrade. If you do that, going back is really,
*really* bad. Doing an -ivh installs in parallel, letting you choose to boot
the previous version of the kernel.

Once you've done that, and have tested and are happy, you'll probably want to
change the grub (or lilo) default to boot the new kernel, rather than the old.

I would get all the files, btw: it may want an update to the glibc lib, and
possibly other tools.

	mark