wtmp won't rotate

Paula J. Lindsay paula at scripps.edu
Wed Feb 6 21:38:01 UTC 2008

Many thanks for the tips on shutting off the xscreensaver.  I could not
remove it because there were too many
dependencies.  I ended up reading the man page and found how to turn it
off.  Should of done that in the first
place.  I did read the man page for wtmp.  I've put it in logrotate.conf
to rotate wtmp, but it won't do it.  They
are running RHE 4 and need to have wtmp make a copy of wtmp and start
over with a new month.  This
linux box is attached to an instrument, it is used by the students and
faculty and they need it each month so
they can bill these people.  Does anyone know how to make wtmp go to
wtmp.1 wtmp.2.  It presently just
deletes wtmp and starts a new month.
Many thanks for all of your help.  I couldn't live without this mailing
list, at least not as an IT person.
Paula

--
Paula J. Lindsay